Corporal Ernest Victor King's Shropshire Light Infantry
Second son of
Mr&Mrs Hayward, Ashfield Road Chippenham and formerly of Welsh Walls,
Oswestry. Corp Hayward enlisted in the first months of the war and had
been on active service for over 18 months having many narrow escapes from
death. The chaplain of his battalion writes to his parents 'Whilst in
support we were shelled one morning and unfortunately some shells hit the
trench. Six of our fellows were killed and amongst them was your son, He
was instantly killed and we buried him in a military cemetery at Tilloy. A
regimental cross is being placed over his grave. We are sorry at his
death, as he was well known and much liked'.
will be remembered best as a Sunday school teacher at the English Wesleyan
Sunday School, Oswestry and also as organist at Nant Wesleyan Chapel for
over 2 years. He was a brother of Mr A Hayward 7 Lloyd Street and a nephew
of Mr A Hayward, Pool Quay and Mr W Hayward, Weston, Baschurch.
Originally from Shropshire, his parents moved to Chippenham and lived
at Ashfield Road.
The Llangollen Advertiser 29 Jun 1917
The identification and details of Hayward have been supplied by Men on the
Gates documenting the men listed on the Oswestry War Memorial Gates