The Memorials
Town - First War
Town -Second & later
Hardenhuish Church
St Pauls Church
St Andrews Church
Congregational Church
Liberal Club
Secondary School
Causeway Church
Pewsham Streets
The Names
First War Names
Second War & After Names
Not Forgotten
Chippenham Cemetery
Site Author




Henry Hope Hunt


Christian Names

Service Number




Henry Hope



1 Sqn, RAF



Enlisted at





Date of Death

Where killed

Cause of Death







Tincourt New British Cemetery



Next of Kin

Next of kin address


Henry Hope and Sarah Ann Hunt (Parents)

67 Park Lane



1 Sqn were flying SE5A's at the time of death, based at Senlis but moved to Bouvincourt on 16 Oct 1918. SE 5A B7909

10 (County of London) Btn (Hackney) attached to RAF. Previously 5257 Rifleman and 392018 L/Cpl 9th London Regt

As his name was the same as his father, he was known locally as Tom. Educated at St Pauls and Chippenham Secondary school. The school memorial records him as Tommy.

Death of Lt HH Hunt

Mr HH Hunt assistant master of S Paulís School received a telegram form the Air Ministry that his son Lt Henry Hope Hunt was missing on the 26th Oct; on the following day came a second telegram that he was killed. The news of the death of this promising young officer was received with deep regret and Mr and Mrs Hunt have had many expressions of sympathy in their sorrow. The deceased who was the elder son was 24 years of age. He was educated at St Paulís and the secondary school and before leaving the latter he passed the Oxford Local Examination. As he intended to enter the scholastic profession he served for 12 months as a student teacher under Mr Hinton at Ivy Lane School. At the end of the year he proceeded to St John's Training College, Battersea but when war was declared and his country appealed for men he laid aside his studies and responded to the call joining the Queen Victoria Rifles, In a competitive examination he gained first place being promoted to the position of chief NCO of the Intelligence Staff at Brigade headquarters. After several months of this work he went on active service to France and being wounded in the battle of Arras he was recommended on the field for a commission. He returned to England and joined the Officers' Cadet Battalion at Pirbright and finished his course of training at Reading. Having obtained his commission he was attached to the 10th London Regt and subsequently, at his request, he transferred to the Royal Air Force and qualified as a pilot at Upavon. He went to France six months ago and was attached to the First Squadron. On the 25th October Mr Hunt recovered a letter from him in which he stated 'I am quite safe. You will probably read in casualty list that I am missing since 23rd. After spending one day and part of another miles from anywhere with my machine, I returned to the aerodrome on the 25th'.He went on duty the next morning and the next that was heard of him was that he was killed. Mr Hunt received the following letter from the Major of his Squadron: - "I very much regret that it is my sad duty to inform you of very bad news. I regret to say that your son, Lt HH Hunt of this squadron was killed in an aeroplane accident. The squadron moved from one aerodrome to another on the 26th of this month and your son failed to arrive at the new aerodrome. The formation with which he was flying flew into a bank of fog and was forced to fly very close to the ground. The leader of the formation missed your son about this time and nothing was heard of him till today. We made exhaustive enquiries and searched the ground near where he was last but could find not trace of him and of course we all hoped that he lost himself and had landed a long way away and had been unable to get through on the telephone. We finally heard this morning that his machine had crashed shortly after it was last seen by the leader of the formation, and the only consolation that I can offer you is that your son must have been killed outright was consequently spared any pain or suffering. We are making arrangements for the funeral which will take place this afternoon and I need hardly say that any officers who are not on duty will be attending. I was the last man to speak to your son before his death as I gave him instructions to be carried out after arrival at the new aerodrome. We all miss your son very much, although he had been with us for such a short time he seemed very promising and I am sure would have done well had he been spared. On behalf of the whole squadron I wish to offer our deepest sympathies in your irreplaceable loss. It seems particularly hard that your son should be taken after the long period he served in France previously."

The deceased younger brother who took part in the series of engagements leading to the capture of St Quentin has received and appointment on the headquarters staff and is now at home on leave. At St Paul's evening service on Sunday, the Rector mentioned the name of Lt Hunt among others belonging to the parish who had made the great sacrifice and at the close the hymn "Abide with me" was sung.

Devizes and Wilts Gazette 7/11/8

According to Trevor Henshaw in his book "The Sky Their Battlefield", Hunt was on a travelling flight and seen around 10-50am east of Peronne. That day the unit was on the move from Senlis to Bouvincourt.

1 Sqn had been carrying out bomber escort duties through September and October, protecting the vulnerable DH9s of 98 and 107 Squadrons.

Memorials Commemorated on:

Chippenham Town War Memorial


St Paulís Church

St Andrewís Church

Liberal Club

Hardenhuish Church

Causeway Methodist Church
Pewsham Street
Boys School Yes
Congregation Church

Last updated - 14/01/2011



If you have any more details about this person, please contact me and I will update the page.